"In the service of the Lord, it is not where you serve but how."
David O. McKay - Teachings of the Presidents of the Church

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Heyo Family!

Qu'est-ce que bon, fils? (tell Erin to translate that) How is everyone?? Thank you so much for all the letters! I love them a ton. I'm way glad to hear that everything is going well back at the good old Wood home.  I hope all continues to go well.  So, I realized I have neglected some birthday wishes ( though I was totally aware of the birthdays, this whole 30 minute timer thing on the email is intimidating) Also, sorry for my spelling and grammer and what not.  French is taking over.  But Happy Birthday to Dad!! I love ya dude!  Miss ya.  I'll write you back today hopefully.   That's way good to hear about Tanner! He's gonna kill it.  And Mom, would you send word to Sister Higgins and tell her thanks for sending me Jordan's letters? It's way nice. I get an update on him every week! So if you could tell her thanks and that I'll try to write her back soon that would be very nice of you. 

So this week was pretty good! It's been the Semaine de Consecration (week of consecration) PVL, which means we were supposed to speak only French all week.  Our teachers gave us the challenge and the district graciously accepted.  But shortly after we started, we decided to just speak only French for the rest of the MTC!! As much as possible at least.  It's been way, way cool and I'm leaning a ton.  Sometimes it's pretty hard to get out what I want to say because, in case you didnt know, I do not speak French.  But it's been such a good way to learn.  This is like the most English I've spoken all week actually! And it's not even really speaking, it's typing, but still.  I looooove french. 

Joke of the week: How much does a hipster weigh?  An Instagram! hahahaha.... that killed me.  My companion told me. 

So, do you all know how important the Atonement is? This is something I've been really learning a lot while I've been here.  Sometimes in class I get a little discouraged because everyone is super good at French, and when we share spiritual things or have discussions, I don't know how everyone else knows so much.  This happened one day this week, we were having a discussion with the Branch President and our district and everyone was just sharing these way deep spiritual answers and I just though to myself... why dont I know what to say? How come I'm not able to keep up with this or give answers? It was a little sad for me.  So I sat and just tried to listen, and I started thinking about the Atonement.  I was thinking about how Heavenly Fathers knows everything that is happening, future past and present, all at once, like one big eternal view.  I continued to think and I had an idea. If Heavenly Father sees past, present and future all at one time, it's as if the Atonement is happening right now, correct? (probably not, and I don't want to  preach false doctrine, so if I'm wrong please correct me) But when we repent, eternally it's as if we are actually changing the experience the Savior had is the Garden.  And though the Atonement did overcome all of our sins so that we can be forgiven, the Savior also suffered for all of out pains, trials, etc. Everything we have gone through, he knows exactly how we feel. So I continued to think, is it that Christ knows how I feel right at this moment? Is He is up in heaven, feeling my discouragement right now? This was a huge comfort for me. It is true, Christ knows everything we are going through at the exact moment we go through it.  Erin, trying to decide whether to run for class officer? Christ knows.  Lizzy, having any trouble with school or allergies? Christ knows.  Carley, ready to be done with High School? Christ knows.  Mom, having trouble raising five children? Christ knows.  Dad, having trouble is Cali? Christ knows. Autumn, is Math hard for you? Christ knows how you feel.  The Atonement is the enabling power that allows us to over come all these things. And while they are small, we can still receive help with them.  Pray to get help, pray for answers, take the Atonement into your life and you will be able to do anything.  Big or small.  This is what I've learned this month. 

And one more thing, I'm getting my travel plans this week! Whoop! I'm pretty sure it's just a straight flight to Paris on April 1st! WOO!! So stoked!
It's time to go.  I love you all so much! Thank you all so much for everything you've done for me! You are all such good examples and have taught me a ton.  Keep on keepin' on, I'll talk to you next week!

Love Elder Wood


1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Every week he makes me cry! I just wanted to add a little scripture to Josh's thoughts on the atonement- its in Phil. 4:13- "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" misty

    ReplyDelete