"In the service of the Lord, it is not where you serve but how."
David O. McKay - Teachings of the Presidents of the Church

Monday, July 15, 2013

Iraqi Brussels

Bonjour!! 

How's it going?! I'm doing just dandy out here! Things are going really well. This week was really good, I seriously love working so much. Soeur Poznanski gave a little training about how the mission accomplished all their goals last year accept 1, Finding Families. It's easier to find a single immigrant person who will get baptised, but she said we need to find young, belgian/french families who will stay strong and fortify the church in the future. So me and Elder Wilson made that our goal! We set most of out rdv's for the afternoon or morning so we could use as much of the evening as possible knocking doors to find these people. We haven't found them yet, but that just means we need to keep going and work harder. Will you guys pray that we will be lead to a young, belgian family who is searching for the gospel and will strengthen the church? That would be much appreciated! Families are so cool. I'm so greatful for you all. How cool is it that we get to be together forever? I'm stoked about it! Thanks for being such an awesome family, I love ya. 

Speaking of families, about half the people in our ward are American. I don't know if I already told you that, but I'll just say it anyways. They all work for Nato and the EU and stuff and one of them invited us over for dinner last night, it was glorious. The H, they're from Washington, have a few little boys and he like organized the US missle defense system, way cool. They live in a small castle, no joke, and they fed us burgers, hot dogs and ROOT BEER. It was like manna from Heaven! In liquid form! I forgot how much I loved root beer. French people hate it! Which is so bizarre, but it was super good. Go USA. 

Also where I live is so nutz. It's like they took a little peice of Iraq and just set it down in the middle of Brussels. So. many. arabs. Sometimes they are really nice and give us rides to the store and on the way try to convert us, and sometimes the women are afraid of us and they kind of nonchalantly shield their children from us, and sometimes they circle us in their cars and scream death threats out the window, but they say "on tue les témoigne jehovas démaine!" which means "we kill the jehovas witnesses tomorrow!". Lots of people think we are ti's (Jehovah's Witnesses), but we usually get to tell them we're not. But it's nice and exciting here! 

Our investigators are doing really well. We have a couple that could be ready for baptism, but they just have those little problems that stop them. We teach an African family who are really cool, and at one point the dad had a date! Until we learned that the mom and dad aren't married, so we're working on that one! Also we've found recently some old converts that haven't had contact with the church for x amount of years, who also want their dozens of children to be baptised, so we're working with them! The Christian preacher guy had to go to London for a week, but we've taught him  twice and he really wants to keep learning and take us to get waffles. If you have any wedding slash children teaching advice, let me know ;) 

Weight update: staying steady at  65 kilos, so not gaining anymore. If I keep this up, I may just come home recognizable. 

I love you all so much! Write me a letter! Did you girls get my letters from last week?! I hope so. Let me know how every one is doing! Don't get married or get tattoos or break any of the commandments. Do some good! Share the gospel with someone. Je vous aime, bonne semaine! 

Elder Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment